To listen to 97.1 The Fan or ESPN 1460AM we ask that you provide a zip code so that we may give you the best audio connection possible.
Photo: Coach Urban Meyer / Courtesy: 97.1 The Fan
| BY: LORI SCHMIDT |
It was a busy weekend for the Buckeyes, with a scrimmage Saturday and check-in day Sunday. They also held a practice Monday morning, and head coach Urban Meyer spoke after that.
• Meyer announced that defensive tackle Michael Hill has been suspended “a few games” for an undisclosed violation of team rules. He has yet to decide on the length of the suspension, but said that Tracy Sprinkle, Davon Hamilton, Robert Landers and Jashon Cornell will all help fill the void Hill’s punishment creates. “Those are the guys that have stepped up.”
• There’s an ongoing competition to be the team’s starting right guard between Malcolm Pridgeon, Matthew Burrell and Demetrius Knox. The other lineman who is playing pretty well, according to Meyer, is Branden Bowen. “I don’t know if we’ll move him to guard, but he’s earning some time.”
• Meyer described offensive lineman Isaiah Prince as the team’s most improved player.
• There’s also a battle amongst the backup quarterbacks, one of whom received rave reviews from his teammates for his performance Saturday. Coach Meyer confirmed that Tate Martell had a good scrimmage, but what’s impressed him more is Martell’s evolution since this spring. “He took some maturity pills or something.”
• Running back Mike Weber has been practicing some, but is being held back by coaches and trainers who want to be cautious about his hamstring injury. Meyer says Weber will be ready for Indiana come August 31.
• Meyer believes the staff is about a week away from anointing Johnnie Dixon as one of the team’s starting wide receivers.
• Finally, Meyer is extremely pleased with the alignment of the offensive coaching staff.