Brandon Phillips, right, celebrates with Joey Votto after they scored in the Reds’ three-run ninth inning against the Mets.
NEW YORK — The Cincinnati Reds wrapped up a three-game sweep of the New York Mets with a gift from the baseball gods yesterday.
CLEVELAND — Indians right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez gave up six runs on seven hits in four innings and the Detroit Tigers prevailed 11-7 last night at Progressive Field.
Eli Manning prepares to pass to Manchester City’s James Milner while the English soccer club visited Giants training camp. Manchester City will play fellow English Premier League club Chelsea in an exhibition at Yankee Stadium on Saturday.
Jimmy Haslam, whose purchase of the Cleveland Browns was unanimously approved in October, apologized to fellow NFL owners for the negative attention an ongoing federal investigation targeting his family business, Pilot Flying J, has brought upon the league, USA Today reported.
The scuttlebutt on more than a few websites has Ohio State in line to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, provided it wins two or three games in the Big Ten tournament.
It has been about a month since the Blue Jackets’ season ended and two months since contract talks between the club and goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky started, but the sides are no closer to reaching a deal.
LeBron James drives past the Pacers’ Paul George to hit the winning shot as time expired in overtime, giving the Heat a victory in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals.
MIAMI — LeBron James made a layup as time expired in overtime and the Miami Heat found a way to defeat the Indiana Pacers 103-102 in a wild Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals last night.
Rookie Evan Gattis, center, hit a grand slam to send the Braves to an 8-3 win over the Twins.
Dodgers 9, Brewers 2: Manager Don Mattingly criticized his team and benched All-Star right fielder Andre Ethier yesterday, then watched Los Angeles beat host Milwaukee.
Third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall is familiar with his Clippers teammates, “so I’m having a little more fun now than I have been.”
Lonnie Chisenhall didn’t need to check life’s mall directory to know where he was earlier this week in Huntington Park. “I’m on the Columbus Clippers now,” Chisenhall said. “I’m worried about our guys and this team.”
Tiger Woods said the “fried chicken” comment made by Sergio Garcia was hurtful and inappropriate. Two weeks after they verbally sparred at the Players Championship, Woods said it’s time to move on.
The Latest Sports Headlines
- Ohio State football: Akron linebacker is ninth to commit to 2014 class
- Big Ten baseball: Ninth-inning rally erases blown save for Buckeyes
- Big Ten baseball tournament results, schedule
- Ohio State roundup: Rola, Kobelt advance in singles at NCAA tennis tourney
- College results
- Around the NHL: Nash, Rangers avoid sweep
- NHL: Detroit has Chicago on thin ice
- NHL results, schedule
- Indianapolis 500: Sato’s aggressiveness in ’12 race impresses Foyt team
- Sports on TV, radio
More Sports Headlines
- Former Ohio State University Star Named To Women’s Basketball Post
- Otterbein Pitcher Makes A Difference In Life Off The Field
- Teen Sensation Tianlang Guan To Play In Memorial Tournament
- OSU Lacrosse Seasons Ends With NCAA Loss
- Crew Snaps Scoreless Skid In Victory
- Ohio State Football Team To Travel To Maryland, Host Rutgers In 2014
- Memorial Tournament Announces Amended Cell Phone Policy
- Tiger Woods Returning To Memorial Tournament In 2013
- Buckeye Men's Lacrosse Advances In NCAA Tournament
- Former Buckeyes Coach Foster Hired at UT-Chattanooga
The Latest From
The Locker Room
Apparently a Big Ten team adding another Big Ten team as a "nonconference" opponent isn't as outlandish as it might have first sounded. For an explanation on why it's still unlikely, but not impossible, click the story's headline.