Ohio State’s Braxton Miller and opposing quarterback Tajh Boyd of Clemson might put up lots of points in the Orange Bowl.
Less than 24 hours after Ohio State suffered its first loss in two seasons, a fall that took the Buckeyes out of the last Bowl Championship Series title game, they gained a formal invitation to take on Clemson in the 80th Orange Bowl on Jan. 3 in Miami Gardens, Fla.
Ohio State receiver Corey Brown can’t reel in a pass as Michigan State safety Isaiah Lewis defends in the first half of the Big Ten championship game.
25 words or fewer: Michigan State has a knack for ruining potentially great Ohio State seasons: 1974, 1998, 2013. But an Orange Bowl spot is a nice consolation prize.
Travelers don’t often view south Florida as a “consolation prize.” With tropical weather, beautiful beaches and plenty of visitor-friendly fun, the Miami area is always a prime vacation destination.
Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, right, and receiver A.J. Green celebrate a touchdown.
CINCINNATI — Three seasons and 28 victories into his NFL career, the daily debate about Andy Dalton shows no signs of dipping below hurricane force. Local sports-talk radio stations hum as supporters and detractors of Dalton wage battle over his perceived merits, or lack thereof, as quarterback of the Cincinnati Bengals. While Dalton’s inconsistent performances fuel the fury, his team continues to win games in ho-hum fashion.
Browns receiver Josh Gordon, right, motors past New England cornerback Aqib Talib on an 80-yard touchdown catch in the third quarter. Gordon had 151 yards receiving.
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — The Cleveland Browns blew a 12-point lead in the final 61 seconds and lost a heartbreaker to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots yesterday.
Will Allen, S, Pittsburgh: Made four tackles, including two solos, in a 34-28 loss to Miami.
Raptors 106, Lakers 94: Kobe Bryant had nine points and eight rebounds in his season debut for Los Angeles last night, but Amir Johnson scored a career-high 32 points as visiting Toronto never trailed and snapped a five-game losing streak.
Linebacker Dante Booker, who helped lead Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary to a state title Thursday night, was named Ohio’s Mr. Football this week.
While Ohio State plays for the Big Ten championship this weekend, several future Buckeyes will be reaching for the pinnacle on the high-school level. Five of Ohio State’s 17 commitments for its 2014 recruiting class are trying to win state titles, and one has.
The Latest Sports Headlines
- 3 hunters killed during Ohio’s deer-gun season
- Ohio State football | Inside the Beat: Lots to solve before Jan.3
- Rob Oller commentary: Ohio State didn’t cash in on Michigan State errors
- Jesse Owens' Olympic gold medal sold for $1.4 million
- Ohio State football: Set for fireworks
- Ohio State football Insider: Passing game a problem on offense, defense
- College football: SEC in title game again
- NFL: How former Buckeyes fared
- College football: Ohio State fans might warm up to Miami trip
- Women's basketball: Buzzer-beater steals glory of big Ohio State rally
More Sports Headlines
- Ohio State University Discover Orange Bowl Tickets Now on Sale
- Bengals Stay Perfect At Home With Win Over Colts
- Patriots Score Twice In 61 Seconds To Top Browns
- Buckeyes Fall To No. 7 In Final AP Poll
- Saturday's Scores
- Friday's Scores
- TRANSCRIPT: Urban Meyer News Conference
- Thursday's Scores
- Southeast Ohio Town Supports Football Team By Sporting Mohawks
- Ohio Panel Examines Football As Civil Rights Arena