The Latest From
The Locker Room
Sometimes it takes a stick of dynamite to crack a safe. That is what Ohio State finally used to crack Michigan State’s defense a year ago in a 17-16 victory that helped send the Buckeyes on their way to a 12-0 season. It was a 63-yard pass from Braxton Miller to Devin Smith against man-to-man coverage that produced the winning touchdown.
Linebacker Camren Williams, right, and Ohio State’s defense will be facing a Michigan State team that ranks 84th nationally in total offense.
It is the “other” matchup in the Big Ten championship game. Although the showdown between Ohio State’s potent offense and Michigan State’s top-ranked defense is the marquee story line of tonight’s game, what happens when the Spartans have the ball is just as important.
INDIANAPOLIS — Bowl contingency plans in case of a loss tonight seemed the furthest thing from the minds of coaches Urban Meyer of Ohio State and Mark Dantonio of Michigan State yesterday heading into the Big Ten championship game.
Jeremy Langford of Michigan State leads the Big Ten with 17 touchdowns.
EAST LANSING, Mich. — If the football tale of Jeremy Langford’s college career was reshaped as a Christmas special, he would be cast as hailing from the Island of Misfit Toys.
Blue Jackets goalie Curtis McElhinney makes a save during the third period.
The Blue Jackets spent the previous two days expressing their utter confidence in goaltender Curtis McElhinney, their backup-turned-starter now that Sergei Bobrovsky is mending a groin strain. But it was important for the Blue Jackets to get McElhinney off to a start like last night — with a crisp, clean performance and a 4-0 win over the Minnesota Wild before snow-shrunk crowd of 11,319 at Nationwide Arena.
Juwan Brescacin of Northern Illinois makes a one-handed grab for a 14-yard touchdown against Bowling Green’s Cameron Truss.
Bowling Green 47, No. 16 Northern Illinois 27: Matt Johnson threw four of his career-high five touchdown passes in the first half and Bowling Green routed Northern Illinois last night in Detroit for the Mid-American Conference title, ending the Huskies’ shot at playing in a marquee bowl game.
Hawks forward Paul Millsap drives between Cavaliers defenders C.J. Miles, left, and Andrew Bynum.
Hawks 108, Cavaliers 89: Kyrie Irving went scoreless for the first time in his NBA career and Cleveland returned to its losing ways last night against host Atlanta. Kyle Korver set the NBA record for consecutive games with a three-point basket to highlight the night for the Hawks, who ended the Cavaliers’ modest two-game winning streak. His three-pointer with 5:29 remaining in the first quarter gave him at least one in a 90th straight game, breaking a tie with Dana Barros (1994-96). Korver was 2 of 3 from beyond the arc and finished with 10 points.
The Seattle Mariners and free-agent second baseman Robinson Cano agreed on a 10-year, $240 million contract, a person familiar with the negotiations told the Associated Press last night.
Linebacker Dante Booker, who helped lead Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary to a state title Thursday night, was named Ohio’s Mr. Football this week.
While Ohio State plays for the Big Ten championship this weekend, several future Buckeyes will be reaching for the pinnacle on the high-school level. Five of Ohio State’s 17 commitments for its 2014 recruiting class are trying to win state titles, and one has.
Ohio State quarterback Justin Zwick played on an injured hamstring after getting the start the 2004 Alamo Bowl.
Saturday night’s Big Ten championship game against Michigan State in Indianapolis will be just the 10th time Ohio State has played a game in December.
The Latest Sports Headlines
- World Cup: Draw deals U.S. ‘worst of the worst’
- Rob Oller commentary: Ohio State fans always quick to point out reasons to fret
- College football: Loss could squeeze Ohio State into Orange Bowl
- Book excerpts | 'Buckeye Rebirth': Game against Spartans brought Buckeyes together like never before
- Around college football: Bowling Green wins MAC title with upset
- Ohio State men's basketball: Thad Matta stresses more defensive rebounds
- Men's basketball: Ohio State-Central Connecticut State preview
- Around college basketball: Kentucky, Baylor set women’s scoring record
- Women's soccer: Capital ousted in national semifinals
- High-school football | Division V championship game: Hartley gets chance to avenge defeat
More Sports Headlines
- Friday's Scores
- TRANSCRIPT: Urban Meyer News Conference
- Thursday's Scores
- Southeast Ohio Town Supports Football Team By Sporting Mohawks
- Ohio Panel Examines Football As Civil Rights Arena
- Ohio State's Miller Named Big Ten Offensive Player Of The Year
- Ohio Hunter Dead In Accidental Shooting
- Big Ten Reprimands OSU, Marcus Hall After Fight
- OSU Moves To #2 Spot In College Polls
- OSU Wins 42-41