NEW YORK — Nick Gilbert did it again. For the second time in three years, the Cleveland Cavaliers won the NBA draft lottery, earning the No. 1 pick in the 2013 draft with Gilbert, the 16-year-old son of owner Dan Gilbert, representing the team on stage last night at ABC’s Disney Studios in Times Square.
CHICAGO -- Linebacker Brian Urlacher says he's retiring after spending 13 seasons with the Chicago Bears.
NEW YORK — Any time a starting pitcher steps into the batter’s box before he stands on the mound, he’s in pretty good shape. Mike Leake enjoyed that luxury last night.
Indians first baseman Mark Reynolds, lower left, can’t come up with a foul ball.
CLEVELAND — The Indians, who have been doing extraordinary things of late, did something ordinary last night. They lost.
CLEVELAND — There’s a new vibe on the shores of Lake Erie. The familiar Cleveland Indians refrain — “Wait ’til next year” — has given way to “Enjoy it while you can.” As feel-good phrases go, it needs a lot of work. Heavy on skepticism and light on faith, especially given the Tribe’s hot streak. Still, it beats “We’re not terrible — yet.”
Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez deactivated his Twitter account following two rough outings and after receiving a slew of negative comments.
Sergio Garcia, left, and Tiger Woods
VIRGINIA WATER, England -- Sergio Garcia apologized to Tiger Woods today for saying he would have "fried chicken" at dinner with his rival, a comment that Woods described as hurtful and inappropriate.
Mike Conley of the Grizzlies blocks a shot by Danny Green of the Spurs during Game 2 of the Western Conference finals.
SAN ANTONIO — Tony Parker had 15 points and a career playoff-high 18 assists, Tim Duncan scored San Antonio’s first six points of overtime and the Spurs bounced back after squandering a 13-point lead in the fourth quarter to beat the Memphis Grizzlies 93-89 last night.
NEW YORK — Hoping their baseball success will translate to titles in another sport, the Yankees are combining with English power Manchester City to own a Major League Soccer expansion team in New York that will start play in 2015.
Clippers first baseman Chun-Hsiu Chen tags out Scranton/Wilkes-Barre’s Thomas Neal.
Baseball as chess played out in a checkmate move yesterday that involved Clippers center fielder Matt Carson and second baseman Matt Lawson during the sixth inning at Huntington Park.
Ohio State women’s basketball coach Kevin McGuff announced the hiring of Joy Cheek and Patrick Klein as assistant coaches yesterday.
I called Dave Hetzler yesterday morning. You remember, Hetzler, right? The former general manager of the Columbus Magic. What, you don’t remember the Magic? The city’s first major-league soccer team. OK, if you don’t remember the team, then you probably don’t remember the general manager.
The Latest Sports Headlines
- NFL: Bears' Urlacher to retire
- Golf: Sergio apologizes again; Tiger says it's time to move on
- Rob Oller commentary: Fans wary, but Tribe not loaded with fool’s gold
- High-school baseball: Still GussStrong, despite cancer
- Around the NHL: Bruins score twice in third, take 3-0 series lead over Rangers
- NHL results, schedule
- College results
- Crew: Short-handed defense faces tough challenge
- Sports on TV, radio
- Around baseball: Tribe closer shuts down Twitter account
More Sports Headlines
- Former Ohio State University Star Named To Women’s Basketball Post
- Otterbein Pitcher Makes A Difference In Life Off The Field
- Teen Sensation Tianlang Guan To Play In Memorial Tournament
- OSU Lacrosse Seasons Ends With NCAA Loss
- Crew Snaps Scoreless Skid In Victory
- Ohio State Football Team To Travel To Maryland, Host Rutgers In 2014
- Memorial Tournament Announces Amended Cell Phone Policy
- Tiger Woods Returning To Memorial Tournament In 2013
- Buckeye Men's Lacrosse Advances In NCAA Tournament
- Former Buckeyes Coach Foster Hired at UT-Chattanooga
The Latest From
The Locker Room
Apparently a Big Ten team adding another Big Ten team as a "nonconference" opponent isn't as outlandish as it might have first sounded. For an explanation on why it's still unlikely, but not impossible, click the story's headline.